Sunday, November 8, 2009

Blake's Update

So last Tuesday we had our last Gastroentestinal and Nutritionist visit. Blake is now 17 lbs. 15 oz. and 29 1/2 inches long. Since Sep 1 he has gained 8 oz. and grew 3/4 of an inch. He dropped again on the chart. Just when I thought he might start catching up he started to dive again. Needlessly to say I didn't take the news very well. I know things could be so much worse, which I am so thankful for, but I work really hard to make sure Blake gets as many calories as I can everyday. To see no improvement was disheartening to say the least. The doctor and nutritionist literally told me that they give up and that they have no idea what is wrong with him. They only know that something is wrong. What child eats 1200 to 1400 calories a day and doesn't gain weight. Ugh, frustrating. So now we are going to see an endocronologist on Nov. 19. We are hoping that they can figure this out. An endocronologist is a doctor that studies glands and hormones. They study things like Turner syndrome, growth hormone deficiencies, dwarfism, thyroid and pituitary problems just to name a few. I am not looking forward to this visit but at the same time I am. I am hoping that they can finally find a diagnosis but I am not looking forward to doing more tests. From doing some research, one of the first tests they do is a cat scan of the brain to make sure there is no tumor. So scary. I never should have looked that up. I don't really think he has a tumor but just the thought of the possibility keeps me up at night. As sad as I feel about Blake, I feel just as blessed that he is as healthy as he is. Things could be so much worse and I try to remind myself of that every time I get sad about it. He is so happy and for now he has no idea that he's a shrimp. I will keep everyone updated with his stats but in the mean time I am asking that you keep him in your prayers. I am praying for support and guidance. I pray that the doctor's figure this out quickly so we can get a plan in action. The worst part is the not knowing. Oh well at least the kids keep me busy enough that I can't drown in worry. Oh and then there's that little business I'm trying to get up and running that keeping me crazy busy too. So excited about that and the kids like eating my test cakes. I think all of us have gained weight for Blake by eating all these cakes. Can I just donate mine to Blake?

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the endocrinologist visit. Sydney has to see an endo every 3 months to get her hormones tested and she's currently taking growth hormone shots. If they find out what's wrong, hopefully it won't be anything serious. Everything will work out.

    ReplyDelete